Kindness really doesn't take that much time, and it is so satisfying! Kindness will stay with you, make your world bigger, warmer, a wonderful place to be. Here are a few tips to get you started, not one of these takes more than a minute or two.
- When your children come home today, stop what you're doing and listen, REALLY listen. It's important to them, they love you and want to connect. Have an actual conversation.
- Kiss your spouse and tell them you love them when they get home from work. Make eye contact and put some feeling into it.
- Say thank you when someone does something nice for you. Not just the big stuff, the little stuff too. Notice the little niceties in life. Our daughter emptied the dishwasher last night without being asked, such a little thing but so helpful! Today I think I'll surprise her by doing and folding a load of her laundry.
- When the dog or cat nuzzles you tonight, looking for a little affection, spend a minute or two lavishing some love on the family pet. Let the kitty snuggle up in your lap while you rub her ears. Throw the ball for your dog and see the joy in his eyes.
Joy goes beyond our families, imagine the possibilities if we showed even one kindness to a stranger each day!
- Leave a huge tip for the obviously pregnant waitress
- Hold the door for the person behind you- people aren't used to it anymore
- Smile at people- even the most surly will usually crumble if faced with a smiling face
- Help the short person at the grocery store reach the top shelf
- Buy a GOOD toy to donate this year, not the dollar store junk
- Elderly people next door? Shovel their snow like it's your own. Call and ask if they need anything if you're on your way to a store
- Pay the toll for the car behind you on the freeway
What's your favorite way to show kindness in the world? I'd love to hear them!